Store bought salsa has a heap of extra weird stuff added in so I make my own! Then we never run out. Whip this up on the side while you’re making other things.
It lasts for a good 5 days (but not really…usually goes in one sitting!). What you don’t eat, pop in the freezer for another day….same with your leftover rice. Unless you’ve got plans to eat your leftovers over the next few days, get them in the freezer, even if it only serves one person. That rainy day will come!
Whack a big blob on your Mexican Pulled Pork Bowl or as a dip with crackers.
- 1-2 cups
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 400 grams BPA free tin of tomatoes
- roasted red capsicum (optional)
- 1 tspn ground cumin
- 1 tspn ground paprika (smoked is good)
- 1/2 tspn dried oregano
- 1 tspn molasses or rapadura sugar (to taste)
- 1 tspn organic apple cider vinegar (to taste)
- chilli and salt to taste
- Fry off the onion and garlic until soft
- Add the remaining ingredients
- Stir until heated through
- Simmer on a low heat for flavours to evolve
- Allow to cool or serve warm with your favourite Mexican dish!