Not all smoothies need to be green! This is so luscious that it feels naughty. If you use quality ingredients then it is far from it. Perfect for breakie and perfect for the kids after school.
Medjool dates are squishy, sweet and caramelly. Paired with a banana makes this smoothie filled with natural sugars, fibre, vitamin B6, magnesium, copper and potassium. A decent pinch of Changing Habits Seaweed Salt gives it added minerals that our body uses for its constant buzzing around behind the scenes. Protein and healthy fats come from the nut butter and the avo making it a healthy, albeit occasional, breakfast option.
When it comes to nut butters, make your own with a variety of nuts, salt, cinnamon and a little oil to make a paste. If you buy nut butter, always check the ingredients list for added nasties or things posing as healthy. The ingredients should sound just like real food, not extracts or flavours. Peanut butter is the bomb in this smoothie BUT it’s not a nut, it’s a legume and some people may have trouble digesting them. The best peanut butter comes from making it yourself by blitzing peanuts….nothing else. You can buy it freshly ground in some health food stores so look out for that option!
These ingredients may be enough on their own but you can add an extra boost to keep you going until lunchtime by adding an egg or two and some collagen powder. Eggs are a powerhouse of complete nutrition on their own.
The collagen is filled with amino acids that help heal and seal the gut lining and it easily dissolves in cold liquids. It’s perfect for skin and joint health and repairs damaged cells. It’s something I try and use every day if I don’t have any bone broth or slow cooked meats on the menu. Check my bone broth recipe here.
- 1 serve
- 250 milliliters Milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon Nut butter
- Small handful of ice
- ½-1 medjool date
- ½ banana
- 1/4 avocado (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon seaweed salt
- 1 tablespoon Collagen Hydrolysate powder
- 1 -2 organic or free range eggs
- Switch out butters and milk to make it nut free or dairy free. Use seed butter and coconut or seed milk.
- Blitz for a good minute and enjoy!
- Our saliva is the start of digestion, so swish your smoothie before you swallow to mix in those digestive enzymes! This also tells your stomach there’s food coming and to start producing more enzymes and stomach acid to break it all down ready to be absorbed. Never scull your smoothie!
- Pop it in a thermos or large keep cup if you need to eat on the run….also not a good idea….mindful eating keeps you calm! Did you know that when you're stressed your digestive system slows down so all the energy is ready to fight or flee? So keep meal time a calm time. Please.